Fail

Fail
FAIL!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

On becoming critical

I'm going out on a limb again. I'm ready to fail for Him. If I put this out there for everyone to see, everyone who reads this can help keep me accountable! This means I can't continue to do the same thing - I HAVE to change. And most likely I'll fail many times before I change my habit. So here it is!

I don't like the person I've been lately. I've let myself become cynical... and that has evolved into being critical. The problem with being critical is that in being critical, I've also become prideful! Not only am I cutting others down, but deep down, I find myself often being proud that I'm not as bad as they are!

Not that I haven't had good reason to be critical lately. Some "good Christians" that I have known for quite some time have... changed! They are now doing things that just a year ago I couldn't imagine them EVER doing. Some are lying. Some are being lustful. Some are even worse. When I take the time to sit back and think about what they are doing, I can't do anything but shake my head in wonder. But am I any better?

Today I drove from my parents' house to my house. And on the last 11 miles, I got stuck behind a local dump truck. Now I can deal with being behind a dump truck, going 40 mph in a 55 mph - even on highway 240 which has so many curves and hills that there's precious few places to pass. But when I'm behind a truck going 40 in a 55 and every time he comes to a passing zone, he drives down the MIDDLE OF THE ROAD to keep me from passing, I get critical! No, that's too mild. I got ANGRY! By the time I got to the place where I turned off, I was FURIOUS. I was so furious I was scared. Is this me? Is this who I really am? It sure isn't who I want to be. And sadly, this is no longer a rare emotion for me.

OK, so here it is. From this point on, I intend to try to catch myself before I become critical. I hereby give my friends and family permission to stop me if they catch me being critical and to remind me to compare the splinter in that person's eye to the log in my own eye before I say a thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment